Permaculture On-site and Project CoordinatorIquitos – Peru
Background on the organization
The Chaikuni Institute is a local non-profit association based in the city of Iquitos in the Loreto region. We are a grassroots collective which investigates, promotes and protects equitable, inclusive and interrelated ways of life in the Peruvian Amazon Rainforest, honoring indigenous wisdom and the principles of permaculture. Working hand in hand with indigenous peoples and like-minded organizations in the Amazon, we pursue our holistic vision of well-being in the Amazon along three distinct paths: Intercultural Education, Permaculture, and Human and Nature Rights. For more information: www.chaikuni.org
The Chaikuni Institute is in an exciting phase of growth: our on-site permaculture program is expanding to its surrounding communities, our permaculture center is being reimagined, redesigned, and improved, and we will start a new project in April to expand our agroforestry work to Shipibo communities in the Ucayali region.
We are now seeking to complement our existing team with an enthusiastic and qualified permaculturalist with great coordination and people skills, to coordinate the work at our permaculture center and support the implementation of new / expansion of existing agroforestry projects. The position will primarily be based at the Chaikuni permaculture center situated on the grounds of our sister organization, the Temple of the Way of Light, approx. 2 hours outside of the city of Iquitos, Peru, with frequent trips to Iquitos.
- Planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of the on-site activities of our permaculture center.
- Coordination, support and guidance of small team of local field workers in their daily activities.
- Participation in the design, re-design, and constant development of our permaculture center.
- Maintenance, surveillance, improvement and expansion of agroforestry plots and other relevant permaculture experimentation and demonstration sites and techniques
- Plan and coordinate the recollection of field data from experiences made at our permaculture center, oversee and support the written documentation and systematization of it.
- Development of an enhanced monitoring and evaluation system for production yields
- Assist the permaculture and communications teams in planning, developing and implementing communication strategies, campaigns and materials for Chaikuni’s permaculture program.
- Production of regular communications content about our permaculture center for Chaikuni’s social media, webpage, and others.
- Support the production of permaculture manuals.
- Design and coordination of a program for national and international permaculture volunteers, apprentices and/or trainees.
- Assist or potentially lead an investigation into ancestral forest farming practices of indigenous peoples in the Loreto and Ucayali regions.
- Support the production of project reports and assist in the writing of grants and fundraising proposals .
- Contribute to the strengthening of the Chaikuni Institute by nurturing existing partnerships and in the building of new ones.
- Work closely with colleagues from our sister organization The Temple of the Way of Light, to ensure up to date information about Chaikuni is communicated to the Temple and to co-create and implement strategies to optimize awareness raising, fundraising and outreach to the Temple’s workshop guests and community.
- Practical permaculture experience, preferably from a tropical region.
- A track record of planning, implementing and evaluating projects.
- Experience in managing and coordinating a small team.
- The skill to work in a multi-disciplinary and intercultural team.
- A proactive, positive and problem-solver attitude.
- A passion for permaculture and creativity.
- A strong interest in traditional knowledge, indigenous cultures, and plant medicines.
- Enthusiasm, resilience, flexibility, patience and endurance to work in a tropical climate and environment.
- Fluent in Spanish with good communication skills.
- Good level of English - written and spoken.
- A good level of knowledge and practical experience with permaculture. Experience with tropical permaculture is a plus.
- Proven organizational and leader skills.
- Team player that can function in an intercultural environment.
- Potential long-term commitment.
- Basic computer proficiency and good writing skills.
- Commitment to the Chaikuni Institute’s vision, mission and values.
- Experience of working with indigenous peoples, traditional societies and local communities.
- Experience of working in multilingual contexts and environments.
- Experience and knowledge of geo-political context in Peru and Latin America.
- Skilled with a range of digital communication tools and platforms, photography and video.
- You hold a legal residence permit in Peru or have the possibility to obtain one.
The Chaikuni Institute offers:
- An opportunity to expand your permaculture knowledge, to lead and work as part of a professional multicultural and multi-disciplinary team in the heart of the Peruvian Amazon.
- An experience in one of the world’s most fascinating regions.
- Contribute to being part of the solution to some of the most pressing issues of our time such as climate change, countering deforestation, conservation of the Amazon, alternative energies, soil regeneration and restoration, and traditional plant-spirit healing.
- An opportunity to contribute to the development of the vision of the organization and to work closely with local populations and indigenous peoples.
- An opportunity to engage in working with medicinal plants as part of our partnership with our sister organization, the Temple of the Way of Light, a pioneering shamanic healing center located near the city of Iquitos.
- Free food and basic accommodation at our permaculture center based at the installations of the Temple of the Way of Light.
- Salary depends on qualifications/prior work experience – local Peruvian standards apply.
Duration: 1-year with possible renewal. We are looking for a long term commitment. The position starts with a trial period of three months.
Starting date: as soon as possible. Due to the current pandemic there is some flexibility to the starting date. Please note that Chaikuni is not able to cover potential travel costs to Iquitos.
Location: Tres Unidos Community, Nanay River basin, 2 hours outside of Iquitos, Peru.
To apply for the post
Please send your CV and a short motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Applications will be evaluated continuously upon reception. Deadline for applications is 30th of April 2021. Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered.